Tuesday, November 07, 2006


"Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl." ~Ernest Hemingway
Steelheadwound.
Slim superstar and I got to the river really early on Sunday morning. It was dark when we arrived. Initially I assumed that we were for the most part alone at the marina..the sun rose slowly and Iwhat appeared to be tombstones lined up and down the bank were actually fisherman holding rods as long as telephone poles just standing there watching their float move with the current. At first I was startled, I've never really experienced such mass attraction for one species of fish. I felt oddly uncomfortable fishing which has never happened, borderline self concious...About an hour into it with nothing but cold hands and two cups of coffee a guy ran down the line of people, who at this point resembled the formation in the old Browns stadium at the urine "troft", looked me in the eyes and screamed "their nailing my sacks!!!". Paralyzed from the outburst I could only say in a hushed tone to Slim "slim they are nailing this guys sacks". Sacks were being nailed everyone got excited. We left and found a quiet spot that we like to fish. Probably were no fish in there we caught nothing. But we felt at ease in the peaceful river bend. It made me realize that what gets me out there fishing is the serenity of it all and that no fish would make me sacrifice that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home